Excerpts from The Troy Record: a 50th anniversary piece published on January 30, 1970.
“George Prout entered the employ of the Russell & Whitehurst Printing Co. in 1908 at the age of 14 years.”
So it began.
Twelve years later, in 1920, and via Schenectady, Concord NH, Worcester, and New Haven, Prout set up his own print shop in Troy, G.H. Prout, Printer; “one room on the third floor at 9 King St”.
“For some unaccountable reason the business grew until the entire third floor of the building was being used.” In 1929 a building on 5th Avenue was purchased, and The Prout Printers moved in.
W. Harry Prout, joined his father in 1953, upon his graduation from Rochester Institute of Technology—with a degree in Graphic Arts and Printing Management.
The business was incorporated eleven years later, in 1964.
In 1970, fifty years of continuous operation were celebrated, as the business moved into its current quarters at 51 Collins Avenue in Troy. The Prout Printers is run now by Bill Prout, George’s grandson, carrying on the tradition of local, personal and experienced small shop printing.